Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones

It's so much fun to make scones!  And with the Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones, this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick, there was the added fun of grating fresh nutmeg.  Maybe it was the nutmeg that threw me off, but I almost made a major goof.  The recipe calls for one Tablespoon baking powder and one-half teaspoon baking soda.  I got them both out and dumped in a full tablespoon of baking soda!   An easy mistake to make with containers that look sooooo similar, right?!!


Happily, I realized my mistake immediately and was able to fish out the extra baking soda.

From that point on, I paid close attention to what I was doing!  Mixing the butter into the flour with my fingers is a delightfully tactile experience.  I took Dorie's "playing around" advice and mixed in some diced banana for an extra bit of pizzazz.  I took the scones to my weekly brunch where they were much enjoyed.



Thanks to Patricia from Life with a Whisk for choosing these wonderful scones.  And next week it's my turn to choose--can't wait to make Caramel Pots de Creme.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you tried the banana. I will next time. These were so good I'll make them again soon.
    So easy to make the baking powder, soda mistake. One of my first batches of 4-H cookies was snicker doodles. Somehow I put in way more salt than needed. My mother, very frugal, figured if we 6 times the batch it would work. To this day 48 years later I don't care if I ever eat or make snicker doodles. Too bad cause hubby loves them.

    ReplyDelete