Monday, May 9, 2011

Fresh Mango Bread

The batter is quite stiff
As much as I love fruit, I am not a big fan of mangos.  I think that's because I've never had a really good one.  My goal is to bake everything in Dorie Greenspan's fabulous book, Baking from My Home to Yours, and so when Rich bought mangos, I decided now was the the time.

The batter is basically what I think of as a carrot cake batter in that a flavorless oil is used rather than butter.  The spices are ginger, cinnamon, and some lime zest.

The mango is quite pretty

Rich cut up the mango (this was quite pretty!), and I stirred it in.

The bread needed to bake a long time--about an hour and a half.  It spilled over the top of my loaf pan!
Stirring in the raisins, mango, and lime zest.





The loaf, ready to be tasted!
The verdict is that, while tasty, the mango flavor did not permeate the bread.  Maybe we cut it in chunks that were too large.  Maybe the mango wasn't ripe enough.  Who knows?!  Since Dorie has so many recipes that are fantastic, I probably bake lots of others again before I give this another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment