Monday, October 18, 2010

French Chocolate Brownies

In Dorie Greenspan's great book Baking from My Home to Yours she offers 15 brownie recipes! I've made 14 of them now and the amazing thing is that they are all so different.  Each is wonderful in it's own way and the French Chocolate Brownies that I made a few days ago are no exception.

I think of brownies as being very easy and very chocolatey.  Differences are often those of texture--cakey, moist, chewy, gooey.  These fall into the cakey variety and they are wonderfully delicious.

The reason I have put off baking these (they are number 14 out of 15 brownie recipes remember!) is that they have raisins in them.  I'm a big fan of raisins to be eaten by themselves or in raisin bread but I don't much like them in cookies because they tend to be dry and hard.  And putting them into something chocolatey, well, chocolate is usually only improved by the addition of caramel in my view.

But these brownies were great fun to make and really, really tasty.  The fun part was to soften up those raisins by simmering them in a little water until the water almost evaporated.  Then you throw in 1 1/2 tablespoons of rum, heat that up and light it!


I tried to take a picture of the flame, but it went too fast!  Just imagine a pretty blue ball and a WHoooooffFF sound!

You melt some good chocolate and stir in some butter.


Then mix up the eggs and sugar, add in a little flour, the chocolate and the rummy raisins and into the oven it goes!

The result was delicious, cakey, moist brownies!  



No comments:

Post a Comment