Sunday, January 24, 2010

Basic Cheesecake



Since Lydia will be here tomorrow for soup night, I decided to make Dorie's Basic Cheesecake. She uses a graham cracker crumb crust which almost seemed too inelegant. Rich said it would be fine and went off to the store but somehow graham crackers didn't make it to the list so he didn't buy any. I was presented with the perfect opportunity to make my own using the recipe in the book Pete gave me for Christmas, The Craft of Baking.

The first batch was in the oven too long--not inedible but imperfect. The second batch not only looked good but tasted great.

I used the crumbs to make Dorie's cheesecake. The whole process was wonderful! I love the way she says it will be about 4 minutes of mixing after the eggs are in until the batter is light and fluffy--it took 3 minutes and 54 seconds! And I loved how you bake for 1 and 1/2 hours, then prop the oven door open with a wooden spoon, turn the oven off and let the cheesecake "luxuriate" in its hot water bath.

It's now cooling on the counter, then into the "cold room" overnight. I'm sure it will be very much enjoyed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment