Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Apple Turnovers

Oh my gosh, these were tasty!  With fewer than 20 recipes left to bake in Dorie Greenspan's fabulous book, Baking from My Home to Yours, I recently baked these wonderful Apple Turnovers.

I must admit to having a bit of trouble with the dough.  It's basically flour & butter into which you stir sour cream.  Dorie cautions not to overwork the dough, but I don't think I mixed it enough because even after chilling, it was crumbly.  That would never do so I tossed the dough into the food processor and pulsed it until it began to hold together (a trick I learned from making her basic pie dough and sweet tart dough).

I rolled it out and folded in in thirds, then it went back into the fridge.  When I pulled it out a couple of hours later, it was hard to roll thin.  Just too chilly, I guess. When I tried to cut 4" rounds with my tart pan, I ended up cutting my thumb!  No blood on the dough, fortunately.  I ended up using a 3" round cutter and then rolling it a bit more.

The apple filling was lovely--no problems there.  The turnovers went together easily and came out looking wonderful.  They were flaky and delicious--much admired by the folks who came to begin planning a contra dance weekend for the fall of 2012.  Yummy treats always make the meetings go better!


No comments:

Post a Comment