Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Rewind! Lemon Custard

Although it is disappointing to have to pass on the Strawberry Rhubarb Double Crisp this week, (Sarah of Teapots and Cakestands chose this week for  the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers), you just can't make a rhubarb crisp without the rhubarb!  It is undoubtedly well into spring in other parts of the world, but there's no rhubarb to be found in Rochester, NY.

As a substitute for all that delicious red fruit, I decided to make Dorie Greenspan's lovely yellow Lemon Custard.
Zesting the lemon

Whisking the sugar and egg yolks.

Preparing the ramekins in their roasting-pan bath tub.

Skimming off the foam.

Baking the custards.

The delicious end product!

4 comments:

  1. Great choice--looks like spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to use frozen rhubarb which was just fine. I remember the lemon custards, they were pretty good as I recall. My husband is British and loves all things custard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good! Maybe you can make this crisp this summer! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peggy. I just realized that there are FIVE Tuesdays in May. Please e-mail me so we can get your choice for May 31. iahawk89 at comcast dot net. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete