Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Chocolate Glazed Walnut Teacakes




This is a Dorie Greenspan recipe but it is not in her great book, Baking from my Home to Yours. Believe it or not, I saw it in an AARP Magazine article that was describing some holiday desserts that could be made ahead and frozen. I didn't even know who Dorie was at the time, but these teacakes looked so wonderful that I had to try them.

I've made them many, many times and I always use mini-muffin pans. The little teacakes are so elegant, so pretty, and just the right size. Dorie is also right in that these freeze really well. I usually save egg whites in the freezer until I have 6 of them, then make a batch of teacakes to freeze. I'm always ready pull a few out when impromptu guests drop in. And I know that when I fancy a little chocolate treat, I just have to reach into the freezer!

This time I made them for the wedding festivities that are coming up in just 10 days!









Here's a link to the recipe:

http://food.aarpmagazine.org/recipes/aarp/chocolate-glazed-teacakes



Or here's my version:

Chocolate Glazed Walnut Teacakes
Original recipe by Dorie Greenspan

These can be baked in mini or regular muffin pans. I use mini pans which yield about 5 dozen lovely teacakes.

Spray muffin cups with cooking spray.

Mix together:
2 ¼ cups ground walnuts (pulse in food processor or blender)
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
½ tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt

Place in a large bowl:
6 unbeaten large egg whites

Stir the walnut mixture into the egg whites.
Add in gently:
1 stick + 7 Tbsp. (7 ½ oz.) melted unsalted butter

Let rest for 5 minutes and then stir in:
6 oz. (1 cup) finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (or mini-choc chips)

Fill muffin cups about ⅔ full.
Bake at 350 degrees for 17 minutes, or until they are just beginning to look like they might be starting to pull away from the sides of the pans. Let cool for 2 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a rack.

Glaze:
Heat in a double boiler:
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate
6 Tbsp. heavy cream
1 ½ Tbsp. butter

When cakes are completely cool, dip the narrow end of the cakes in the glaze.

These freeze really well, so you can make the whole recipe and put a bunch into the freezer for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment