Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Apple Tarte Flambé

The apples are just beginning to show up at the farm markets and I am reminded how much I enjoy them.  This week I had the chance to bake something new from Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi: Apple Tarte Flambé.

It's a yeast dough rolled very thin, topped with a mixture of cream cheese, yogurt, cream, and sugar, with a layer of thinly sliced apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar.  An apple pizza!

Along with apple season, we also get cooler weather.  It was hard to find a warm place for the dough to rise but my son told me a trick he uses when baking bread.  On his advice, I heated a mug of water in the microwave. I left the hot water in the microwave and put my bowl of dough in, too.  Without turning the microwave on, I just left the dough in there for a couple of hours.  Actually, it was more than a couple of hours, but the dough had risen perfectly by the time I was ready to roll it out.

Dorie suggests that both the baker and the dough need to relax.  So I rolled, covered it up, rested, rolled again.  I probably did that three times, getting it as thin as I could.  I slid it into a hot oven onto the baking stone and baked for one minute.  Dorie suggests heating the oven as high as it will go which for me was about 500 degrees.  Hotter is probably better.

Here are the only pictures I took:

The apples sliced paper thin.
Filling spread on the crust.  A layer of apples were added next.


The finished tarte, ready to eat!
I chose to sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top and this is how it turned out!  It was delicious!

Check out what other Tuesday with Dorie bakers baked this week!




3 comments:

  1. This was good, wasn't it! I use the microwave trick all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this was delicious. We loved it and want to make again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that microwave proof box tip is great--thanks to you and your son! i liked this apple pizza a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete